At Mountain Shadows we offer Preschool Gymnastics Programs, Boys and Girls Recreational Programs as well as Trampoline and Tumbling Programs!
The focus of the Preschool programs is to develop kids’ hand eye coordination, strength and flexibility and motor skills through gymnastics. Kids in this program have the opportunity to work on all of the different apparatus including beam, bars, trampoline, floor and games and activities in the pit.
Preschool programs are once per week for 50 minutes or 1 hour and are geared for children ages 18 months – 6 years. We have broken this program into Busy Bees (a parent assisted class) and Mighty Mites (unparented), and our NEW Bronze Level CanGym Beginner Program (unparented).
- Busy Bees – a parent and child centered program for kids’ ages 18 months – 3 years and 6 months of age. Parents are actively involved with their children as the program begins with a music warm-up and stretch. Parents will then follow along with the group and help their children as they work on all the different apparatus in the gym.
- Mighty Mites – begins to offer the children some independence as kids ages 3 years and 3 months – 5 years of age participate without mom or dad. Each class begins with a musical warm-up and a stretch and then will move onto rotations throughout the gym allowing the kids to work on all the different apparatus in the gym .
- Bronze Level CanGym Program – this is a great introductory program for kids ages 4 years and 3 months to 6 years to participate independently. Each class begins with a game for warm-up and a stretch and then will move onto rotations throughout the gym allowing the kids to work on the different apparatus in the gym. This program focuses on Fundamental Movement Patterns and follows the CanGym Badge Program which is also found in our Recreational Programming.
The boys and girls recreational gymnastics program is designed for children who wish to learn the sport of gymnastics. At this stage we no longer have them in co-ed classes, but have split the programs into two age groups (6-8 years & 9 years and up) for the girls and a 6 years and up for both the boys and the co-ed Flip, Flop and Fly program.
We follow the CanGym badge program designed by Gymnastics Canada Gymnastique. CanGym is a progressive 12 step program that challenges children to develop their gymnastic skills in a fun, safe and progressive manner. Children receive a badge upon completing each stage of the program.
- Boys Rec (6yrs & up) – offered once a week for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Boys will gain experience on floor, high bar, vault and trampoline.
- Girls Rec (6-8yrs) – offered once a week for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Girls will gain experience on the vault, bars, beam, floor and trampoline.
- Girls Rec (9yrs & Up) – is offered once a week for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Girls will gain experience on the vault, bars, beam, floor and trampoline.
- Above the Bar – a great program for girls who are ready for a more intense level of training. This program is offered once a week for 2 hours. Girls are split into 2 age groups (6-9yrs and 8 andup) and must be in the Blue badge level or higher.
- Flip, Flop & Fly – This program is designed for kids who love to tumble and bounce. Following a modified CanJump program, children can progress through the levels learning different trampoline, double mini-trampoline and tumbling skills. This is an excellent program for kids of all sizes and abilities. This programs runs once per week and is an hour and 15 minute long co-ed program.